Using the KitchenAid® Food Processor Attachment makes these fritters a quick and healthy lunch or dinner option!
1 small brown onion
3 large (450g) zucchini, trimmed, cut in half lengthways
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 small (240g) yellow potatoes, such as yukon gold or Bintji potatoes
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup (75g) plain flour
1/4 cup (25g) good quaity grated fresh Parmesan
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Extra Olive Oil, for frying
1. Attach the Food Processor Attachment to your KitchenAid® Stand Mixer, and insert the dicing kit as directed. Position a large bowl under the food attachment to catch the diced onions. Turn stand mixer to speed 4 and process. Set onions aside and change to the large grating disc and place a second bowl in position. Grate the zucchini, 1 at a time, into the feed tube on speed 4. Set aside, place another bowl in position and repeat with potatoes.
2. Transfer the zucchini to a strainer and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon sea salt. Toss to combine and let drain for 10 minutes. Wring moisture from zucchini by pressing against sides of colander or wrapping in a clean dishcloth and wringing them out. Place shredded zucchini in large mixing bowl and toss with fork to loosen shreds.
3. Meanwhile, heat oil in a non-stick frying pan and cook onions, stirring occasionally until softened. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
4. Add the onions to the zucchini with the potatoes, egg, flour and parmesan cheese. Season with sea salt and fresh black pepper.
5. In a non-stick frying pan heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Drop large spoonfuls zucchini mixture into oil and flatten slightly. Cook for 3-4 minutes each side. Remove from heat and repeat with remaining mixture.
Serve with lemon wedges if desired.
Makes 6-8 fritters.