Prep time - 45 minutes Cook time - 50 minutes Serves 6
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 carrots - 2 cups diced
- 2 sticks of celery - 1 cup diced
- 1 medium onion - peeled 1 cup
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon fresh black pepper, divided
- 1 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 3/4 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 700g boneless chicken breast
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
Preheat oven to 180C.
Attach KitchenAid® Food Processor to stand mixer fitted with dicing disc and blade.
Place bowl under attachment to catch diced vegetables. Cut carrots to fit vertically
into feed tube. Process on speed 6 until all carrots are diced. Repeat with celery and
Melt butter in 25cm cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add diced vegetables, garlic,
1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper to skillet. Sauté, stirring often until
softened and lightly browned. Stir in thyme. Whisk in flour and cook 2 minutes. Slowly
add broth while continuing to whisk and bring to a simmer. Season chicken with salt
and pepper and nestle into skillet. Cover partially and simmer 15 minutes. Remove
chicken from skillet and let cool slightly. Shred chicken into bite size pieces. Stir peas,
heavy cream and parsley into skillet, then add chicken.
Make an egg wash by whisking egg with 1 teaspoon water. Unfold thawed pastry and
arrange on top of skillet, tucking in edges. Brush with egg wash, then cut a few slits in
the center of pie. Bake 30 minutes until filling is bubbly and crust is golden brown. Let
rest 10 minutes before serving.