A lovely nutty, fruity bread perfect with a cuppa for morning tea. Makes 1 medium loaf
1 cup (150g) bread / pasta (strong high wheat) flour
1 cup (150g) wholemeal plain flour
2 tsp caster sugar
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground ginger
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
7g dried yeast
150ml warm water
2 tbs honey
1 ½ tbs vegetable oil
100g dried fruit salad, chopped
50g macadamia nuts, toasted , roughly chopped
extra bread flour for dusting
Place the flours, sugar, salt, spices and yeast into the mixing bowl. Attach the flat beater. Mix on speed 2 until well combined.
Combine the water, honey and oil in a jug and set aside. Change to the dough hook. With the mixer going, the liquid and knead for 8 minutes (staying on speed 2) until the dough is soft and elastic.
Place the dough into an oiled bowl*, cover with plastic wrap or a damp tea towel and leave the dough to rise and more than double in size. This takes about 1 ½ hours, in a draft free warm place.
Punch the dough down and return to the mixer, knead a further 3 minutes. Remove the mixing bowl from the stand and add the dried fruits and nuts and mix in to the dough by hand. Place the fruit loaf onto a baking paper lined oven tray and firmly push in push in any extra pieces of fruit. Cover with a light tea towel and place in a warm spot and allow to prove for 1 hour or until well risen. Lightly dust with a little flour.
Preheat the oven to 200C (180C fan forced). Bake the bread for 10 minutes or until lightly golden then reduce the temperature to 180C (160C fan forced) cover the loaf with foil and bake for a further 20 minutes. Allow to cool completely before slicing.
- Additional 2.8L or 4.8L bowls are available to purchase.
- Very lightly oil the mixing bowl before kneading this will prevent the dough sticky and assist in the kneading.
- Covering the loaf with foil during the cooking prevents the dried fruit from burning
- Use a leading brand / good quality flour. Bread & pasta flour is available from supermarkets. It produces a superior end result.
- Always use dried yeast within the use by date and keep in a sealed container in a dark place. Available at the supermarket in 7g sachets or larger tubs.