One of our favourite things to do as family is getting in the kitchen and baking- and this is our go-to chewy choc chip cookie recipe. While I always use a scale to measure my ingredients, this recipe is quite forgiving as I make it with my toddler son who inevitably tastes the delicious dough along the way! The main thing to consider for perfect chewiness is the baking time as just 1-2 minutes can be the difference between chewy and crunchy cookies (perfectly ok though if you don’t mind the crunch!). Every family needs a fool proof cookie recipe, and this one is ours. I hope you love it as much as we do.
- 200g butter, softened (preferably at room temperature overnight)
- 150g brown sugar
- 125g caster sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 free range egg and egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 275g plain flour flour, sifted
- 1/2 tsp bicarb soda
- pinch of salt
- 200g milk chocolate,chopped roughly
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Place the butter and sugars in a stand mixer and beat on medium speed until pale and creamy. This will take a few minutes.
- Add the egg, egg yolk and vanilla extract and beat for another minute or so.
- Add the flour, bicarb soda and salt and mix on low speed until just combined and doughy.
- Finally, add the chopped chocolate (reserving a small handful to press into the top of the cookies) and give the mixer another few turns on low speed to combine.
- Shape the cookie dough into balls and place them on the baking trays around 4cm apart. I find that around 40g per ball gives just the right size cookie but feel free to make them as small or large as you wish! I like to stick a couple of chocolate pieces on top of the cookie balls so that when the dough spreads as it cooks, there are visible chocolate pieces on the top.
- Bake for around 12 minutes or until cookies are just golden around the edges and look a little undercooked in the middle. Any more golden/cooked, and they will go crunchy!
- Remove them from the oven and allow them to rest for a few minutes before transferring onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Enjoy! (My son loves them with a glass of milk for dipping!)
Makes 18-22 cookies