A combination of earthy yet fresh flavours this frittata is the perfect dish when planning a long-lazy weekend brunch or low-key lunch, especially when school holidays are just around the corner.
1 brown onion, peeled and halved
1 leek, pale section only
50g piece Parmigiano-Reggiano
2 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra to grease
300g Swiss brown mushrooms, stems trimmed, halved
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
80ml (1/3 cup) thin (pure) cream
1 lemon, rind finely grated
Freshly ground black pepper
70g Persian feta, broken into large chunks
Fresh thyme sprigs, to garnish
Salad leaves, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 160°C (140°C fan-forced). Grease a 21cm (base measurement) ovenproof dish or pan with a little extra oil.
2. Using the KitchenAid Food Processor attachment for the KitchenAid Stand Mixer; dice the onion, slice the leek and shred the Parmigiano-Reggiano.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large frying pan and cook the onion and leek over medium heat for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened. Remove from the pan and set aside.
4. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and the butter to the frying pan and heat over medium-high heat until foaming. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently for 5-8 minutes or until just tender and starting to brown. Add the thyme leaves and cook, stirring, for a further minute or until aromatic. Remove from the heat.
5. Whisk together the eggs until smooth. Whisk in the cream, lemon and Parmigiano-Reggiano and season with pepper. Stir through the onion mixture and mushroom mixture and then pour into the greased pan. Dot with the Persian feta.
6. Bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until almost set in the centre.
7. Preheat the grill on high. Place the frittata under the grill for 1-2 minutes or until golden on top and just cooked through.
8. Serve warm or at room temperature garnished with thyme sprigs and accompanied by salad leaves.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Baking time: 30-35 minutes (+ grilling time)
This frittata will keep covered in the fridge for up to 2 days. Serve at room temperature or reheat covered with foil in an oven preheated to 160°C for 10-15 minutes.
Anneka Manning is a baking teacher, food author and the founder of BakeClub. With over 27 years of experience, she specializes in teaching not only the “how” but also the “why” of baking. Through her unique 6-month Make Me a Baker program, hands-on BakeClasses, online resources and her writing, Anneka teaches home cooks to bake in practical and approachable, yet inspiring, ways.
Don’t miss what’s coming out of her oven via Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube and Twitter or by becoming a member of BakeClub.