Simple yet stunning. Serves 8 (approx 1.3 litres)
440g (2 cups) caster sugar
500ml (2 cups) water
Flesh of 4 large ripe chilled mangoes
1/2 cup assorted fresh mint leaves
Finely grated rind 2 limes
Place the sugar and water into a medium saucepan. Bring to the boil, stirring. Once sugar has dissolved, stop stirring and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.
Transfer syrup to a bowl and let cool. Then refrigerate for 4-6 hours or until very well chilled.
Puree the mango, mint and lime rind in a food processor until just smooth (see note below). Combine the sugar syrup and puree until well combined.
Attach the ice cream bowl attachment to the stand mixer and turn to speed 1. With the machine running, add the mango mixture to the bowl. Churn for 15 minutes until soft ice sorbet results.
Eat immediately or for a firmer texture, remove mixture from the bowl and place into a sealed container. Freeze for a minimum of 4 hours or overnight for a firmer consistency.
- Frozen mango can also be used.
- Allow to defrost completely before use.
- The mango and sugar syrup must be well chilled. If the ingredients are ice cold the sorbet will form very quickly.
- To puree the mango and mint in the KitchenAid Food Processor:
- Fit the food processor with the work bowl and multipurpose blade. Add the mango and mint and process on speed 2 until smooth. Add the chilled sugar syrup and pulse until smooth.
- Refrigerate until serving.