Rough puff pastry filled with layers of potato, caramelised leeks, thyme and a rich goats cheese cream. You'll want to try this recipe by Olivia Galletly after all she is The Hungry Cook and you will be too when you make this!
1 cup flour
½ teaspoon salt
60ml chilled water
2 leeks, sliced into rings
Knob of butter
1 large potato, peeled and thinly sliced
½ cup cream
100g goats cheese
1/3 cup finely grated parmesan
3 sprigs fresh thyme
1 egg, whisked
Honey (to serve)
- Place the flour, butter, salt and chilled water in the food processor and blitz until it forms a dough. Wrap in baking paper, flatten this will make it easier to roll out later and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Roll the pastry out until around 1cm thick, roughly 20cm x 10cm. Fold the rough edges in to meet at the centre of the dough. Fold dough in half and then half again. Wrap in baking paper and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Repeat this step two more times.
- Heat a non-stick fry pan over a low/medium heat. Add the butter and leeks and fry until soft and just starting to change colour. Make sure leeks keep their shape, they’ll look much nicer on top of your galette.
- In a bowl, combine the cream, goats cheese, parmesan, thyme and a little cracked pepper.
- Heat the oven to 200ºC.
- On a floured bench-top, roll pastry into a circle until around 5mm thick. Place dough on a lined baking tray. Layer the potatoes on the pastry, leaving a 3cm border around the edge. Loosely fold the sides of the pastry up around the potatoes. Pour the cheese mixture over the potatoes and layer the leeks on top. Fold the edges of the pastry over the leaks and fold and pleat where necessary. Brush with whisked egg.
- Bake for 25 - 30 minutes or until pastry is golden and puffed up. Drizzle over a little honey just before serving.
Serves 5 - 6
Olivia Galletly is The Hungry Cook and we are in love with her recipes! Olivia lives north of Auckland in New Zealand and is an avid cook who loves to experiment with old recipes. Olivia has grown up surrounded by food and spends her time developing recipes, styling and taking beautiful images of her creations. This has all developed following past career experience in graphic design and styling.