A delicious and light flavoured ice cream for adults and kids alike!
400ml coconut cream
400ml coconut milk
6 large egg yolks
1 cup (220g) caster sugar
½ cup (160g) your favourite jam
Mixer Attachment/Accessory: ice cream bowl
1. Refrigerate the coconut cream for 2 hours.
2. Heat the coconut milk in a heavy based, non-stick saucepan, stirring often until very hot and without boiling. Transfer to a jug.
3. Fit the mixing bowl and Wire Whisk to the KitchenAid Stand Mixer and add the egg yolks and sugar into mixer bowl. Mix on speed 2 for 1 minute or until thick and sugar has completely dissolved.
4. Reduce speed to 1 and gradually add hot coconut milk. Mix until well combined.
5. Pour the mixture back into a clean saucepan and heat over medium heat for about 5-6 minutes, stirring continuously until the custard thickens and lightly coats the back of a wooden spoon or silicone spatula. Do not boil or it may curdle. Refrigerate until cold.
6. Pour the cold coconut cream into the mixer bowl fitted with the Wire Whisk attachment, mix on speed 10 until soft peaks form. Fold in the chilled custard mixture.
7. Assemble Drive Assembly, freezer bowl and dasher (as per instruction book) to the KitchenAid Stand Mixer. Transfer chilled mixture to a jug with a pouring lip.
8. Turn stand mixer to speed 1, slowly add cooled custard to freezer bowl. Churn for approximately 20 minutes or until a very firm soft serve ice cream results.
9. Spoon half the ice cream into a 8 cup capacity freezer safe container, dollop over ¼ cup of jam, swirl to combine. Repeat with remaining ice cream and jam. Cover and freeze 2-3 hours or overnight.
Remove ice cream for about 5 minutes before scooping. Homemade ice cream is harder than commercial ice cream so remove from freezer and allow to soften slightly.
Homemade ice cream is best eaten within 4-5 days and must be stored at -18C or in the coldest section of the freezer.