Prep time: 20 minutes plus chill time Cook time: 10 minutes
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 180g high quality milk chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup malt powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup chocolate malt balls, chopped
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar together in medium bowl until well blended. Heat heavy cream and milk in a saucepan over low heat until very warm, but not boiling. Remove from heat and very slowly whisk 1 cup of the warm milk into egg-sugar mixture to temper then slowly whisk egg mixture back into saucepan, stirring constantly. Return to heat and cook over low heat, stirring constantly until custard coats back of spoon, about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Place chopped chocolate in large bowl. Pour custard over chocolate and let sit for 1 to 2 minutes to melt chocolate. Stir in malt powder, vanilla and salt and blend well. Cover and chill in refrigerator until completely cool, at least 4 hours.
- Attach KitchenAid Ice Cream Maker attachment to mixer. Turn to Stir speed, pour mixture into freeze bowl and churn for 20 minutes or until soft set. Stir in chocolate malt balls. Ice cream can be served immediately or for a firmer texture, transfer to a container and freeze for several hours.
makes about 6 servings