Carrot and walnuts are a classic combo and taste terrific when baked together. You will love this incredibly moist and simple carrot cake recipe with ultra-creamy cream cheese frosting.
- 1 cup (150g) wholemeal flour
- 1 cup (150g) self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoon bi-carb soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup (220g) brown sugar
- 100g walnuts, coarsely chopped, plus extra for garnish
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup (250ml) vegetable oil, plus extra for greasing
- 300g (approx. 3 medium) carrots, peeled and grated
- 250g softened cream cheese
- ½ cup (120g) sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (80g) icing sugar
1. Grease and line the base of a 20cm (base measurement) microwave and oven-safe round cake tin with baking paper.
2. Sift flours, baking powder, bi-carb soda and cinnamon into a large bowl. Add sugar and walnuts and mix well.
3. Whisk together eggs and oil and add to flour mixture along with grated carrot. Fold in gently until just combined. Spoon into prepared cake tin and smooth surface evenly.
4. Arrange LOW RACK onto turntable and place cake pan on top.
5. Select COMBI 2 /CONVECTION 160C /MW90 Watts /45 minutes and press START.
6. Allow cake to stand in tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
7. To make the icing; Combine the cream cheese, sour cream and vanilla in the bowl of a KitchenAid Stand Mixer and beat on speed 4 until smooth. Add icing sugar and continue beating until well combined. Spread over the top and sides of the cooled cake. Garnish with extra whole walnuts on top.