Eggs are amongst the world’s most versatile ingredients. They’re a breakfast favourite and an essential element in countless recipes including dough, sauces, baked treats, tarts and pastries.
Practice makes perfect with poached eggs.
- Fill a saucepan 2/3 full with water and bring to the boil.
- Crack the egg into a small measuring cup.
- Add 1 tablespoon of vinegar – this will give the egg a better shape and will have no affect on the taste.
- Bring the water down to a simmer and ease the egg into the saucepan.
- Leaving the egg in lightly simmering water for 4 minutes will give you a firm white and a runny yolk.
- Remove the egg with a slotted spoon and drain on absorbent paper.
The perfect soft boiled egg should have firm, custard-like whites and a warm runny yolk.
- Place eggs in a saucepan and just cover with cold water.
- Place a lid on the pan and bring the water to the boil.
- Once the water starts to boil remove the lid.
- Cook the eggs for between 2.5-7 minutes depending on your yolk consistency preference.
If you're looking for boiled eggs with a difference, try this delicious recipe for Moroccan Inspired Stuffed Eggs.
Knowing how to fry an egg is one of those basic skills that you'll use again and again.
- The key to frying an egg is pan selection. Be sure to use a quality pan that has even heat distribution.
- If using a non-stick pan melt butter or oil on medium heat.
- Crack the egg into the centre of the pan.
- Keep pan on medium heat. If the pan is too hot the bottom will cook and the top will remain as liquid.
- To ensure the top sets in a timely manner cover the pan partway through cooking and let the trapped heat and steam gently cook the top.
- Cooking time comes down to personal preference. The whites will set in a few minutes, particularly if you cover the pan. When the whites are just set, the yolks will still be quite runny. If you don’t like runny yolks you can flip your egg.
Finally, if you want to know the key to soft, yet firm and luscious scrambled eggs - it's easy with the tips in our recipe for The Best Scrambled Eggs.