Makes: 4-6 servings Portion Size: 2-3 shrimp cakes Prep Time: 30 min Cook Time: 6-8 min
- 1 each egg yolk
- 3 tsp lime juice, divided
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon Thai chili paste
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup rough chopped scallions (white and green)
- ½ cup deseeded rough chopped red bell pepper (1 small)
- 1 tablespoon garlic cloves (3-4 medium)
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon packed mint leaves
- 1 teaspoon packed basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon packed cilantro leaves
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pound medium raw shrimp, peeled and deveined (tails off)
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs, divided
- 1 each beaten egg
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
1. Combine egg yolk, 1 teaspoon lime juice, soy sauce and chili paste in KitchenAid® 3.5 Cup Food Chopper Work Bowl. Set to Puree and Process while adding vegetable oil through Drizzle Basin until all oil has been emulsified. Transfer aioli to small bowl and set aside in refrigerator.
2. Combine scallions, garlic, red bell pepper, ginger, mint, basil, cilantro, salt and red pepper flakes in KitchenAid® 3.5 Cup Food Chopper Work Bowl. Set to Chop and Pulse ingredients until minced. Transfer mixture to mixing bowl.
3. Add shrimp to KitchenAid® 3.5 Cup Food Chopper Work Bowl. Set to Chop and Pulse until shrimp is finely chopped, but not paste. Add shrimp to mixing bowl with vegetable mixture.
4. Add sesame oil, beaten egg and 2 teaspoons lime juice and fold all ingredients until thoroughly combined.
5. Add sesame seeds and ½ cup panko and fold until well combined.
6. Form mixture into 12 patties approximately 2½-inches wide by ½-inch thick.
7. Use remaining panko to coat each patty and set aside in refrigerator for 20-30 minutes to firm up.
8. Heat 3cm vegetable oil in skillet over medium heat.
9. Fry shrimp cakes 3-4 minutes per side until golden brown and fully cooked.
10. Serve with Thai aioli.